Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Top 1%, Alvar Aalto & The Dalai Lama

& there we have it. On Monday, May 19, 2008 we broke into the Technorati Top 1% at 1,118,434 after just 3 1/2 months in publication. By the end of the month I hope to break under a million. As I've mentioned before, Technorati is the service that tracks only blogs and socTechnorati, top 1%, ranking, rankial media. This is not a ranking on all websites, but on blogs only. With Technorati tracking over 113 MILLION blogs, I feel pretty good. Oh sure, there's a lot of spam out there but I make better spam than most! in other news, I was walking home from a meeting and came upon an exhibit of Alvar Aalto, the 20th Century Finnish architect and designer, hosted by the Finnish Embassy and the Vietnam Association of Architects. I spent a charming hour in a gallery atmosphere learning about anAlvar-Aalto, Finnish, architect architect who combined nature and modern aesthetics to create harmonious environments and objects. You can see one of his tables, here. Aalto had long been one of my favorites but I relished this time to learn more and peace out. It's funny, some people dream to be architects and purveyors of form following function while others dream of working in a bank or insurance company. How can we know who will become who? This of course is one of the benefits of walking. I get to think. Had I been in a cab or on a motorbike, I quite possibly might not have seen the banners hanging on the wall of what is otherwise, a nondescript government building. I'll just thank my feet for that. and finally, Saturday was Buddha's Birthday. I encountered a parade on my way home with many big decorated trucks as floats and monks waving flags and chanting. Monks on floats –Dalai-Lama, Buddha, Buddhist funeral prayer, buddist prayer, now that's something I had never seen before. I waved at the monks and that made them very happy as they waved back in double happiness. And they had big pictures of the Dalai Lama as well. The Dalai Lama is considered to be the reincarnation of the Buddha and he is the 14th Dalai Lama. In post script, the Internet troubles of last week turned out to be no more than country growing pains. Things were sputtery all week but by Sunday seemed to have sorted themselves out. As the country grows the government will learn, not so much by study but by experience that the only way to stay in power is to keep people happy, and to keep them happy they want basic things like dependable electricity, clean water, acceptable roads and a damn fast web connection. With those tasks ahead, the government has it's hands full enough without chasing bloggers all over town !

For more on blogs, blogging and bloggers, check here:

Advertising People & Blogs - The Travis Diaries VI
How to Write the Best Damn Blog in the World
Throw That Blog a Bone!
If Blogs Are Free Are They Worthless?
What If Gutenberg Had a Blog?
If You Like the Blog, Read the Book>/a>
2008 Annual Report - The Wild Wild East Dailies
Blog Redesign WWED
BarCamp Saigon 2008
Attraction vs. Conversion - How to Power Your Blog
Are the Bloggerati Missing the Market?
blog comments powered by Disqus

The Wild Wild East Dailies


D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Read my blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies and keep up on our efforts with aSaigon/CreativeMorning.