Monday, November 29, 2010

A Good Start

A Good Start, 100 Lawyers, Technorati rank, Hugh MacLeod, "What's 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? - A good start." Yeah, we all know that one. But what's a good start for your business or your business initiative? The answer is going to be different for everyone. Two and a half years ago I started this blog with a Technorati ranking of 1,614,138. Today, we're ranked at 26,105 - so 1,614,138 was a good start for us. This week I heard a business associate worry that he had only invested $25,000 into his website when other people had put in millions - but $25,000 is a lot more than zero and I've seen the number "$0" in people with big ideas as well. $25,000 is a good start. Another associate complained that his company's YouTube video only got 5000 views when others got tens of thousands or more. So what's a good start?

A good start is something you begin. The trick is not to quit once you've started. Last week in 5 days I made 4 distinct business proposals to 4 different clients. Maybe one of those will play out, maybe more - but I got a good start. As I quoted my good friend Hugh MacLeod in a post the other day, "Money or time is not the issue. Making the decision is the issue." Have a good start.
blog comments powered by Disqus

The Wild Wild East Dailies


D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Read my blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies and keep up on our efforts with aSaigon/CreativeMorning.