Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Is your blog working hard enough for your business? - How to write the Best Damn Blog in the World V

Recently, I recommended to a business associate that they install a blog on their website. They responded as such:

"Actually we have a blog, and it was last updated last September ;). "

Following is a note I sent that associate. They had now become a potential client.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Bob;

And that's what most people say. But the problem is that the most popular blogs in the world, post at least once a day. On my own blog, I publish three times a week. And then I syndicate. Syndicate like crazy, which means broadcasting to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and a number of other news aggregation sites. In the last year, the Wild Wild East Dailies has been picked up by The New York Times, New York Magazine, The Wall Street Journal and The Huffington Post as a trusted news source, with links going directly back to my little ole blog, right here in Vietnam. Read this from Technorati's State of The Blogosphere 2010:

"no longer an upstart community, now with influence on mainstream narratives firmly entrenched, with bloggers still searching for the next steps forward. Bloggers’ use of and engagement with various social media tools is expanding, and the lines between blogs, micro-blogs, and social networks are disappearing. As the blogosphere converges with social media, sharing of blog posts is increasingly done through social networks"

This illustrates my key point: If you're not using your blog as a broadcasting and lead generation device, you're missing a huge opportunity. Huge. 65% of my hits come from other sites, and only 17% from search. LinkedIn is my top feeder.

I notice you have a Facebook page for your company and it's good. But do you know what that doesn't give you? It doesn't give you data. Mark Zuckerberg gets all your content anf data for free but you don't get anything. And you can't insert code on Facebook pages. (code that feeds data back to you) You can maybe tracks links to your site, but that's about it. If you took every post you made to your Facebook page and did it on your blog instead, things would work better, but in reverse. A post to the blog automatically goes to your Facebook page and then, correspondingly, out to the world - if, you configure the blog properly. And you get a central base, from which to collect data that YOU control, not Facebook.

I read your Facebook page and if that's you writing, you're pretty up on how social media is working, but it's not working to your benefit as much as it could be. Your blog could be a page on your website and be feeding people directly back to your site - instead of to Facebook where they get all your good data.

My blog, The Wild Wild East Dailies is rated #26,105 in the world. Ha, a joke you say? We'll, not considering that there are over 100 million blogs in the world. I'm in the top fraction of 1%. And blogs are tracked differently than websites. They can be identified by Google and other Bots that don't pick up your website.

Here are some of the stats I like:

Time on site:
Blogging, Blogs, business, wild wild east dailies, Bounce Rate, Facebook, Unique Visitors,












drill down154Less than 5 secsBlogging, Blogs, business, wild wild east dailies, Bounce Rate, Facebook, Unique Visitors,
drill down7From 5 secs to 30 secs
drill down27From 30 secs to 5 mins
drill down5From 5 mins to 20 minsBlogging, Blogs, business, wild wild east dailies, Bounce Rate, Facebook, Unique Visitors,
drill down6From 20 mins to an hour
drill down35Longer than an hourBlogging, Blogs, business, wild wild east dailies, Bounce Rate, Facebook, Unique Visitors,

If I hear another web genius tell me how many 'uniques' they get to their site, I'm going to spit. Who cares? On my best day I accumulated over 1000 hits but what were they worth? Not much. Almost none of them converted into regular readers. I put something controversial and funny on the site and got attention. Then it went away. So what? What you and I want to do is build a dedicated, intelligent audience. A well structured blog can help you do that, build a subscriber list and induce loyalty among readers. You become an authority on the business - one other media sources can rely on. Not just a Facebook page.

Where do they come from?

The first two countries are not surprising, but the ever fluctuating list of those below always entertains me. One week Azerbajan was #3. H(how)TF did that happen? I have no idea, but it's cool to know.

drill down 23246.40%VietnamVietnam
drill down 12525.00%United StatesUnited States
drill down 142.80%United KingdomUnited Kingdom
drill down 132.60%SingaporeSingapore
drill down 122.40%FranceFrance
drill down 122.40%CanadaCanada
drill down 102.00%AustraliaAustralia
drill down 91.80%GermanyGermany
drill down 91.80%Korea, Republic OfKorea, Republic Of
drill down 81.60%TaiwanTaiwan
drill down 71.40%IndiaIndia
drill down 51.00%AustriaAustria
drill down 40.80%NetherlandsNetherlands
drill down 40.80%Hong KongHong Kong

More specifically, I like the cities. Historically I have a very strong base in Silicon Valley and tech areas on the west coast of the US. New York is always a leader (as I am from there), but I'm always surprised by some. This week it's Nice, France. Why? Dunno.

drill down 21442.80%Ho Chi Minh CityHo Chi MinhVietnam Vietnam
drill down 204.00%New YorkNew YorkUnited States United States
drill down 142.80%

Vietnam Vietnam
drill down 112.20%Singapore
Singapore Singapore
drill down 112.20%WashingtonDistrict Of ColumbiaUnited States United States
drill down 91.80%NiceProvence-alpes-cote D'azurFrance France
drill down 71.40%CoimbatoreTamil NaduIndia India
drill down 71.40%KarhyondongKyonggi-doKorea, Republic Of Korea, Republic Of
drill down 71.40%TaipeiT'ai-peiTaiwanTaiwan
drill down 61.20%LondonLondonUnited Kingdom United Kingdom
drill down 51.00%ViennaWienAustria Austria
drill down 51.00%BrisbaneQueenslandAustralia Australia
drill down 40.80%EnglewoodOhioUnited States United States
drill down 40.80%Central District
Hong Kong Hong Kong
drill down 40.80%Los AngelesCaliforniaUnited States United States

I say all of this, because I think I can add something to your mix, and help you guys gain control of and grow your audience.

Blogging, Blogs, business, wild wild east dailies, Bounce Rate, Facebook, Unique Visitors,









Here's a couple of weeks on my site. It's not my best. Over time, I average 100 hits a day with 75% unique visitors but the read time is over 5 minutes each, so I'm gaining traction with people who really care. And Facebook doesn't tell you that when people click on stuff you post. A blog - your blog, will.

So that's what I'd like to talk to you about. Configuring your blog and giving you a traffic boost and data you can use to grow business by growing your audience.

To configure the blog and get it connected properly will take me a month - and I'll give you all the instructions, connecting sites and features that I install. You and I will share common password and you can change it after I'm off the project. And my fee for this is extremely reasonable. Less than $.

After that, I would recommend that I maintain and grow the site for six months. If I don't grow the base and data, you don't pay. And that would be a monthly service fee for six months. Not much can be accomplished in any less time. We would need to talk about a posting schedule before I have a fee on that, but again, very manageable and a small fraction of any employee's time.

You've already stated that your staff is dedicated to client work and things like home maintenance get put on the back burner, sometimes for over a year. Outsource this one, and it gets done. And it gets done efficiently and produces results.

Let's discuss more.

David

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more on blogs, blogging and bloggers, check here:

Tell Me Your Secrets - How to Write the Best Damn Blog in the World V
Is Your Blog Working Hard Enough For Your Business? - How To Write the Best Damn Blog in the World IV
How (NOT) to Write the Best Damn Blog in the World III
Advertising People & Blogs - The Travis Diaries VI
How to Write the Best Damn Blog in the World II
Throw That Blog a Bone!
If Blogs Are Free Are They Worthless?
What If Gutenberg Had a Blog?
If You Like the Blog, Read the Book
2008 Annual Report - The Wild Wild East Dailies
Blog Redesign WWED
BarCamp Saigon 2008
Attraction vs. Conversion - How To Write the Best Damn Blog in the World
Are the Bloggerati Missing the Market?





3 comments:

  1. Thanks MJ. And you too are interesting. So interesting that I'm going to turn your comment into a blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just shocking to this blog .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete

The Wild Wild East Dailies


D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Read my blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies and keep up on our efforts with aSaigon/CreativeMorning.