Sunday, November 15, 2009

You could lead the horse to water, but you could not make it drink...

Denial, Germany, Hell, Hieronymous Bosch,  Salvador Dali, SurrealismImagine a world of Dali-esque proportions. Where all the clocks dripped in the sluggish taking of time. Now imagine a world where love goes by that clock, continually making times and commitments but totally missing them, always. That's a world I know, and I know it well over thDenial, Germany, Hell, Hieronymous Bosch,  Salvador Dali, Surrealisme last eight months. A world where someone will throw any amounts of time and money into an endeavor, yet not themselves, truly. Almost as if failure is engineered in the planning by just not showing up. A world in which all is given but then taken back three-fold the next day in waves of guilt and misdiagnosis of past committments. Is that hell? Surrealistic hell? Yes, it is. But the other person plunders on in some manufactured reality that doesn't happen to include all the other people in their life, just their own fantasy. But you still love them, because you know they'll figure it out sooner or later - but just not sooner. Maybe years of psychobDenial, Germany, Hell, Hieronymous Bosch,  Salvador Dali, Surrealismabble will sort this out. Do I have time? Hell I'm old. Guess time is one of the things I really do have. I like much better the ideas of Hieronymous Bosch, a happy German and his Garden of Earthly Delights, but explaining this work to a person who has maybe never visited a museum wouldn't be the best idea. So let's get simple. Can you lead a horse to water but not make them drink? Yup. But in my case, I didn't really lead the horse to water. The horse was looking for something to drink, and I just showed it the concept of water. And that horse said, "What's that?" And I said, "Well, it's water, It's what you want" and it said, "Well I don't know that and I won't have that becuase I've never seen that before in my life". Yeah okay, Hmm, Question: how do you convince a person that water is what they need. Answer: You don't. And so I don't. Don't I need to pay the rent this month? Back to work...


blog comments powered by Disqus

The Wild Wild East Dailies


D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Read my blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies and keep up on our efforts with aSaigon/CreativeMorning.