Monday, December 27, 2010

RIP - Alex Chilton 03.17.10

Alex Chilton, Big Star, The Box Tops, The Letter. RIP, DeadAlex Chilton died on March 17th. The problem is that I didn't hear about it until now. I was in Germany at the time and about to be ambushed to cook a birthday dinner for a girl I hadn't seen since October of the previous year. Alex Chilton, who's name will only ring a bell to devotees of Power Pop and a band called Big Star (of course you've never heard of them) was most known as the lead singer of a 60s American band called The Box Tops. When he was 16 they had a #1 hit with a song called, 'The Letter'. "Give me a ticket for an aeroplane", he sang, "Ain't got no time to take no fast train. Lonely days are gone, I'm a goin' home - cause my baby, she wrote me a letter." Rest in peace Mr. Chilton. No one will ever write a song that sets a man's heart traveling because his baby, "she sent him a Twitter". Alex Chilton was 59.

blog comments powered by Disqus

The Wild Wild East Dailies


D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Read my blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies and keep up on our efforts with aSaigon/CreativeMorning.