Saturday, December 4, 2010

Seth Godin just kicks my ass...


...every once in a while. Like this post. It's dead true. Think about it.

The world's worst boss

"That enthusiasticlywould be you.

Even if you're not self-employed, your boss is you. You manage your career, your day, your responses. You manage how you sell your services and your education and the way you talk to yourself.

Odds are, you're doing it poorly."


Last week I made 4 new business proposals. The first got no response at all. The second was responded to in a lackluster way. The third was responded to enthusiastically, but I don't think that client has any money. And the fourth was successful. How successful remains to be seen.

Last week, I learned I had been deceived by someone - someone important. Last week I was worried I couldn't even pay some bills. Last week I was thanked for being honest and truthful and candid, yet I realized that someone else wasn't - and they were being paid to be that way. And that was okay, for her.

Makes you think. Makes you think a lot. So I looked around for someone to blame, and it turned out, that someone was me. So rather than sit around and give myself shit for things I could have done better, the key is to do them better going forward. To fuck up less. To have wider eyes in a lot of ways. To quite simply, be a better boss. Of me.

Today, I also had my ears cleaned, got a haircut, and ate really well. That works.
blog comments powered by Disqus

The Wild Wild East Dailies


D a v i d E v e r i t t - C a r l s o n
-------------------------------------------------
Find me on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn. Read my blog: The Wild Wild East Dailies and keep up on our efforts with aSaigon/CreativeMorning.